cascading water garden, Ayrshire
a traditional rural water garden
Our clients had had a disastrous experience having a water feature constructed and we were called in to save the day. What should have been a natural water fall cascading from a stone well into a wildlife pool by their small summer house patio had simply failed to work properly.
the design brief
We were enlisted to reconstruct the well, the water fall and the pond in a naturalistic style to fit in with their rural location. We were also invited to complete the planting in the garden.
the new water garden design
- the design :: we began by redesigning the structure of the water feature so that it would actually work.
- the well :: a well had already been built over an existing spring. We re-engineered it to work properly, installing a spill stone and secondary drop pool.
- the water fall :: using natural stone located on the farm we constructed a natural looking cascading water course of tumbling meandering pools.
- the pond :: we adapted the original pond, integrating the rocks around the edge and creating naturalistic planting pockets and a shingle edge.
- the planting :: we incorporated a mixture of water and bog plants around the edge of the ponds and pools.
- relaxing times :: our clients now have a beautiful spot by their summer house to sit and relax, enjoy their garden and listen to the gentle fall of water, the perfect spot for a lazy summer's day.